Violence against women and girls is one of the most widespread, persistent and devastating human rights violations in our world today.
- 1 in 3 women worldwide has experienced physical or sexual violence
- 1 in 2 women killed worldwide in 2012 was killed by her partner or a family member
- 1 in 5 women and girls has experienced physical and/or sexual violence by an intimate partner within the last 12 months
Through the Spotlight Initiative’s investments and efforts:
- Over 1.6 million women and girls have been provided with gender-based violence services
- 2.5 million young people have joined programs promoting gender-equitable norms and attitudes
- National budgets to address violence against women and girls have increased eightfold in program countries.
In 2021, significant results include:
- 198 laws and policies passed to address violence against women and girls in 41 countries
- Over 1.3 million men and boys educated on respectful family relationships and non-violent conflict resolution
- Over 1,000 local women’s rights and civil society groups said they were better able to perform their work
- Gender-based violence convictions more than doubled compared to the previous year
- 43 countries strengthened their National Action Plans to eliminate gender-based violence
- Nearly 130 million people were reached through behaviour change campaigns in 29 languages
Read more in our 2021 Global Annual Report.